If you haven’t heard this adage by now, it’s a good one to digest, not only for perspective on the days when planning becomes overwhelming, but also to guide your approach to the personal touches that will make your wedding unique to the two of you.
There are many versions of this saying, but they all boil down to the same thing. This is the one I like most:
Your wedding is just one day. It will be a gorgeous and amazing day, but in the end it is merely the first of what will hopefully be many happily married days. It is the door through which you step into a life as partners together.
The reason I like thinking about a wedding day like this is because it reminds you that although it is an extremely special day, it is not the end-all be-all, but rather a beautiful opportunity to set the tone for your life together.
For many of us, charitable giving is a part of our daily lives, so why would it be any different when it comes to our weddings? It can be a wonderful way to incorporate something we value into a day that is a true reflection of ourselves. There are many ways to go about this:
- In lieu of favors make a monetary donation to your favorite cause
- After the reception donate elements to those in need like excess flowers or food
- Honor a charitable mission in your wedding ceremony or program
- Donate your dress after the big day
- Add charitable gifts to your registry to give guests the option of donating in your honor
As you an see, it’s as easy to weave charity into your wedding experience, as it is to weave it into your life!